Thursday, March 1, 2012

First Week of Lent, Thursday

Today’s readings are obviously about prayer. Queen Esther prayed with all her heart, completely entrusting to God the life of the Israelite people. Jesus’ words in today’s Gospel are very encouraging – “Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened unto you. For he who asks receives; he who seeks, finds. And he who knocks shall be opened to.” But experience tells us that we do not always receive what we asked for, find what we seek, and have the door opened to us. We ask, why? Going back to the Gospel, Jesus continues, “Will not your heavenly Father give you what you need?”

Perhaps what we asked for and sought is not what we need. The door we want opened is not the door that would lead to God.

I am reminded of a poem attributed to an unknown Confederate soldier. It speaks of God’s answers to our prayers. I quote:

I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.

Today, as we continue with our Lenten Journey, we ask the Holy Spirit for enlightenment to know what we truly need, and that we may pray with the confidence and trust of a child to a loving and provident Father. Amen.


Have a holy Lent.

No comments: